Close

Toronto Canada we live in Igloos and have Polar bears for pets

Unhappy Clutch Bearing Noise

Has anyone had a problem with their clutch at all. I have 7000Km on it (3000 miles) and when I start the car and release the clutch the sound is like a throw out bearing going metal to metal. Once it warms up it goes away. HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!:'(

This happens to my EP as well. But only when it's really cold out. Strange sound when I release the clutch after starting the car. I expect strange things to happen when it's really cold out so I don't think much about it. I'm just glad it starts...

But I am curious what others will say...
    Last edited by gtaSiR; 02-03-2003 at 07:09 PM.

Mine does the same thing also, sounds like a snare drum ratteling or something.

Canuck
    happens to me too, lasts about 5 seconds.

ephatch member
    Mine too. I'm none too concerned. I'll let it ride out a few more years and then see if I can get warranty to cover my time for labour while I put in a grippy aftermarket clutch :p oh yeah, and a quieter TOB :D

Speaking of clutch problems, does anyone here have problems with shifting ie a hard time shifting into first?
    There seems to be more difficulty in shifting to first than any other gear, I wonder fi this happens to anyone else?

End the circle-jerk NOW!! lewjay's Avatar
    Originally posted by DoMahMeGok
    Speaking of clutch problems, does anyone here have problems with shifting ie a hard time shifting into first?
    There seems to be more difficulty in shifting to first than any other gear, I wonder fi this happens to anyone else?
    Sometimes when it's cold. When it happens to me, I slide it to 2nd before going to 1st. Never force it.

EATMYDUST
    well i only have 4200 miles on mine but i am hearing this squeeking , creaking noise when i push the clutch in. my old honda did it too but i just figured cause it was a 90 and 12 years old. does anyone have this problem too or know what it is

As far as not going into first easy, "you're granny shifting when you should've been double clutching" er, yeah enough shitty F&F quotes. But with my 91 Toyota 4x4, it's impossible on cold mornings to shift that badboy into 1st.. But if I depress the clutch twice, it pops into gear just fine.. though it does have 200,000 miles on it. I don't drive my EP when it's really cold, snowy, or shitty in any way, so I couldn't tell you if my clutch does the same. Or you could just do as lewjay says and pop it into second first.

Take Care....
    -PR

The noisy clutch bearing seems to be an old Honda tradition. I've had more than one that did that.
    My EP clutch makes some noise too. It goes away after a short warm up.

OG EP3'r
    Mine was REALLY loud and never went away....Honda replaced it along with the PP,2-3-4th gears,and some other stuff.Now its QUIET like it should be.No noise at all.

Mine does it too - on cold mornings, goes away after a minute though, im not too concerned if others are hearing the same thing though, i assume all the people hearing this rag on their EP's though

Alittle faster now
    Mine does it too when it's cold til it warms up, but I also have a problem putting into reverse. It won't go in reverse sometimes unless I go forward alittle then put it in reverse.

I have the same noise after starting the car if I let out the clutch and sit in neutral a minute. There's a change in noise under the hood. I also have a problem going into 1st when stopped and even after putting it into 2nd I sometimes can't get it into 1st, and I can audibly hear it go into all gears when sitting at a stop. I can forget going into 1st when the car is at a creep, when really I need 1st because 2nd is too high. I have to stop for a split 2nd and then go to 1st, and I've tried all the tricks about letting the clutch out in neutral and then going into gear, it still doesn't always work. I don't rag my car either, I rarely get over 4500RPM when doing any shifting. 2nd gear still makes scraping sounds until it's fully warm from driving and even then I get a faint sound each time I go into 2nd. I also have developed a sound under the hood that sounds like a chain rattling when I am accelerating in 3rd gear and sometimes 4th and 5th. It's not real loud, and it comes and goes. It's not a problem with the oil level, I've kept close tabs on that from day one. Many issues that I may need to get honda to look at, so far they don't keep me from driving it though, but I expected a little better quality. I just wonder how long will it be before soemthing actually tears up.

Thread Information