Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Budget boost

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Let's keep it civil guys.....so the thread can stay open.

That said, I agree with Dave. The Chinese/Ebay kits DO STEAL and ARE in fact STOLEN technology. That is a FACT! That's why their manifolds look identical to the Rev Hard manifolds, their BOV's look like HKS, TRUST/GREDDY, or Forge BOV's, and their wastegates look like and interchange springs/valves with Tial ones.

But, for $700 and being on a stringent budget, I'd definitely look at the EMUSA kit.

Boost by gear allows you to completely customize boost level by rpm in every gear. You can't make boost faster than the engine spools the turbo but you can limit the boost level all through the rpm range of, say, first and second gear, then run full boost from third through fifth. Think of it as an aid for traction.

We've been having a civil discussion for the most part. In the end we all know that there are many ways to skin to proverbial turbo cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Thats my fault i didnt specify that list was $4k. The one on the HKS site LOOKS like it comes with an IC. The one the guy was selling on CRSX doesnt have an IC and is selling for $1900.

It looks like the BO is $300 by itself, the snail is almost $1800 (i think im looking at the right one), the mani is $350. I see the mani limits me if i wanna upgrade snails later... but i kinda like the wastegate on the gt28. Any pros and cons there?

As far as boost by gear... that was one of the big selling points of SC... it builds boost with RPM. I have to spend more $ to have that feature with turbo (solenoid/tuning/etc).
    Right, the list on that particular kit is probably the most overpriced out of all K-series kits. You are correct in asserting that the kit that guy is selling has not intercooler. Their intercooler kit is 1200 or so. I would personally go with a nice used Rev Hard or CN kit, as you can keep costs down while still supporting your power goals.

The GT28 is one of the nicer mid range turbos out there. I personally love the idea of running one on a car making 300. The spool will be so quick. It is not a true twin scroll, but boost will nonetheless max out very early. It's tough to find them at truly low prices. You can get much better deals on larger turbos.

You could always piece things together yourself. That is a sureshot way of saving $ while still getting quality parts.

Did you check out this post? The guy is selling a full greddy kit for 800.
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=788703
    Last edited by PAPITUYO326; 09-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

I thought the thread was civil too? I was seriously asking to be convinced why to spend more $ on a turbo kit over the EMUSA kit. I saw it as a way to help explain WHY one might be better than the other (instead of debating quality, etc)... and helping answer my own questions in the process.

Dave thanx for the info. I was asking for serious answers, and hope my questions werent misread as sarcasm.

Yeah it seems the RevHard and CN kit are more complete. I think you are right too, at least in my case, i might be better off putting together my kit instead of buying one.

Isnt the Greddy mani known for cracking?

The thread is civil. You guys don't have to be told, you've both been around forever and have always kept your cool.

It was more directed towards members of the site who aren't familiar with the rules and may turn the discussion from it's current civil demeanor.

The Greddy/Trust manifolds and turbos are known for frequent defects.

Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    thats possible with any kit.
    ftfy

at that point all you're really doing is adjusting fuel and a little ignition for boost by gear, once you finish with spring pressure everything should already fall into place after that.
    Last edited by AKEP; 09-16-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    I thought the thread was civil too? I was seriously asking to be convinced why to spend more $ on a turbo kit over the EMUSA kit. I saw it as a way to help explain WHY one might be better than the other (instead of debating quality, etc)... and helping answer my own questions in the process.

Dave thanx for the info. I was asking for serious answers, and hope my questions werent misread as sarcasm.

Yeah it seems the RevHard and CN kit are more complete. I think you are right too, at least in my case, i might be better off putting together my kit instead of buying one.

Isn't the Greddy mani known for cracking?
    Here is a nice thread detailing some pros of a similar GT28 unit vs. a standard Turbonetics t3/t4 unit. The unit in the Greddy kit is admittedly not quite as nice.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/16...-gt28rs-2.html

I've never seen a Greddy mani crack in person, but I know it can happen. I've seen inlinepro and CN surface cracks at weld pools after years of use, though neither caused the part to fail as the crack did not have enough energy to propagate.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:

I been a lucky one to have a greddy manifold crack :( then i just hell with it and went Full race then now a peak boost

I like the Full-Race greddy kit upgrade option. Too bad they no longer openly sell it. I think you can still call Full-Race and have them make the adapter for you.
    Last edited by PAPITUYO326; 09-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.

The Evolution:

Peakboost is out of business?

i thought so but i see websites selling their stuff.

Ken must have hit hard times, because I believe he started going Ponzi for a while. His manifolds acquired a bad rap for being tough to tune and creating creep issues on larger Turbos for K-series as well. Poor airflow to the wastegate. I think he MAY have fixed it, but the name has still taken a big hit.

edit: Looks like he just bailed and left people hanging..

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40396
    Last edited by PAPITUYO326; 09-16-2011 at 02:06 PM.

The Evolution:

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    Ken must have hit hard times, because I believe he started going Ponzi for a while. His manifolds acquired a bad rap for being tough to tune and creating creep issues on larger Turbos for K-series as well. Poor airflow to the wastegate. I think he MAY have fixed it, but the name has still taken a big hit.

edit: Looks like he just bailed and left people hanging..

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40396
    lmao! wow

yeah i remember seeing that. thanks for searching for me LOL. one dude here was pretty upset, he just threw away $1200 into nothing..

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information