Close

Bent Tie Rod End

So last time I went and got my car aligned the steering wheel sat to the left an inch or two. The guy at the shop told me that one of the tie rod ends was bent. He told me which one it was but it has slipped my mind and I can't remember which one it is. He got the car aligned and it tracks straight but the wheel sits to the left. I took off both wheels and looked at both tie rods and and tie rod ends and both of them look fine to me. So could anyone help me out with this or do i need to go back to the alignment shop and have them look at it again before I buy parts for it. 2004 ep3 by the way.

Thanks,
    Luke

take some pictures of each side man. also, if the car tracks straight, there's no reason he should not have been able to get the steering wheel centered.

I work in an alignment shop, so I can tell you firsthand that some people that do alignments are idiots. Do you have a copy of the specs you can post up?

Quote Originally Posted by preludeh22vtec View Post
    I work in an alignment shop, so I can tell you firsthand that some people that do alignments are idiots. Do you have a copy of the specs you can post up?
    I only got a front alignment so I didn't bother typing the blanks for the rear.

How much did you pay for that half ass alignment(If you don't mind me asking)? Having a "bent tie rod end" shouldn't stop them from Zeroing out the front toe and centering the steering wheel at least. Also its kinda odd that they didn't adjust the rear on a car with factory adjustable rear toe....

So unless they mean its so bent, and it will not adjust any further, I call BS. Even then, they should not have charged you for an alignment they couldn't finish.
    Last edited by preludeh22vtec; 02-29-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by preludeh22vtec View Post
    How much did you pay for that half ass alignment(If you don't mind me asking)? Having a "bent tie rod end" shouldn't stop them from Zeroing out the front toe and centering the steering wheel at least. Also its kinda odd that they didn't adjust the rear on a car with factory adjustable rear toe....

So unless they mean its so bent, and it will not adjust any further, I call BS. Even then, they should not have charged you for an alignment they couldn't finish.
    I paid 40 dollars for just a front end alignment. So should I assume that the guy was too lazy to straighten out the steering wheel? Next week I will take it by another shop and see what they can do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Thug View Post
    I paid 40 dollars for just a front end alignment. So should I assume that the guy was too lazy to straighten out the steering wheel? Next week I will take it by another shop and see what they can do for me.
    Ok, just making sure you didn't pay full price for just the front end. I'd recommend doing a 4-wheel alignment, and a second opinion never hurts.

Its possible that guy was lazy, but its also possible that need a new tie rod. But I think they shouldn't have charged you for an alignment if you need new parts and could not complete it.

Yeah kind of felt that I didn't get the service that I paid for. I installed a Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushing Set and when I put it all back together the steering wheel was off to the left. I don't think that I bent anything in the installation so that is what led me to believe that the guy at the alignment shop was not telling me the truth. Oh well lesson learned. Hopefully I find out nothing is bent after I take it to another shop.

it's also a good idea to learn how to do your own garage alignment. even if you can't get it exact, you'll have a better idea whats going on with your car when you take it the "shop".

...am I reading it wrong, or did they actually leave him with POSITIVE camber up front and a shit load of toe?

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    ...am I reading it wrong, or did they actually leave him with POSITIVE camber up front and a shit load of toe?
    Yeah, and charged him for it. Even though I wouldn't consder the camber adjustable unless he's got a kit up there. The least they can do is get the toe zeroed in if they don't wanna mess with the camber. The numbers up there are barely in spec.

Sheez.

Thread Information