Close

EP3 K24 owners 50 degree vtc gear and pnf ecu

I am going to be replacing my timing chain this winter and would like to know if it is safe to use a 50 degree VTC gear with a pnf ecu? I have heard people talking about this ecu sometimes sends random cam advance spikes, and I have seen it on my own datalogs, but never anything past 45 degree command, but that scares me with the possibility of valve to piston contact. Just want to know if this is safe or should I leave it how it is. Don't want to get into machining the gear but since I'm doing the timing chain it would be very easy to replace the gear while in there.

IN for answers. Looking at doing this mod myself someday.

I use a limiter from blueprint racing. It's a machined pin inserted into the gear to limit how far the gear is allowed to rotate. Similar to machining a 25 degree gear, but adding a part rather than taking material out.

Quote Originally Posted by rowerperk View Post
    I am going to be replacing my timing chain this winter and would like to know if it is safe to use a 50 degree VTC gear with a pnf ecu? I have heard people talking about this ecu sometimes sends random cam advance spikes, and I have seen it on my own datalogs, but never anything past 45 degree command, but that scares me with the possibility of valve to piston contact. Just want to know if this is safe or should I leave it how it is. Don't want to get into machining the gear but since I'm doing the timing chain it would be very easy to replace the gear while in there.
    Yes with stock cams. I have an 04 k24a2 /w 06 cams and a 50* VTC. Been running it for years with no issues.

in tuning, im not sure there is power to be made on 50* but maybe thats for my build, k24a1/z1 head. Tuner never took it over 40.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Si757 View Post
    in tuning, im not sure there is power to be made on 50* but maybe thats for my build, k24a1/z1 head. Tuner never took it over 40.
    Same with me. My max is 45*. 50 didn't improve anything on my setup.

Thanks for the replies, I have an 04, k24a2, the 06 cam upgrade sounds good too. I have a plm race header to install, maybe I'll just stick to the vtc gear and do the cam another time. Gets expensive trying to do all these upgrades at once. Slip angle, do you have a pnf ecu? And did you notice big gains from the 06 cam? As of right now I have the engine with a stock ep3 header and exhaust and its definately not a huge gain from the old engine, just more torquey, but not a lot high end, it just knocks. Hoping the header or new timing chain will help that.

Quote Originally Posted by rowerperk View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I have an 04, k24a2, the 06 cam upgrade sounds good too. I have a plm race header to install, maybe I'll just stick to the vtc gear and do the cam another time. Gets expensive trying to do all these upgrades at once. Slip angle, do you have a pnf ecu? And did you notice big gains from the 06 cam? As of right now I have the engine with a stock ep3 header and exhaust and its definately not a huge gain from the old engine, just more torquey, but not a lot high end, it just knocks. Hoping the header or new timing chain will help that.
    I have the PNF ECU. 06 cam didn't give big gains... I don't recall how much but nothing to write home about... You'll gain much more swapping out that ep3 stock header/exhaust with the race header.

I never made power past 38* on my k24 with OEM K20a2, Hytech spec 3's or Brian Crower stage 2's. Some would say the Clearance past 45* is just to tight, Some say that it is not. Every motor is a little different. Specially if the head or block have been decked/milled.
    Last edited by Rep; 04-22-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AttarixEp View Post
    I use a limiter from blueprint racing. It's a machined pin inserted into the gear to limit how far the gear is allowed to rotate. Similar to machining a 25 degree gear, but adding a part rather than taking material out.
    do you have a link of where to buy that from?

Thread Information