Close

Question Ok help me out here....

Im looking at buying a cold air intake. What i would like, is to see what you guys have to say about witch one to get... Help me out please.

I would like to find one for a decent price,that is still good.

i got the aem one, its ok a noticable gain but i would recomend the injen sp 1576

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    Injen SP1576, definitely. If you're on a tighter budget, go with less, but most people will tell you Injen or AEM.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

I'd get a SRI

short ram for the win.
    or a gutted airbox(thats what I'm running and I love it)

I'd consider Ohio a wet state, you may want to look into the dangers of running a CAI if only so you know what road conditions to avoid with one installed.

I had to make my own cold air because I have a k24 installed. To avoid hydro-lock I bought an AEM by-pass valve.

My Brockway Engineering R920 says my intake temps are down 20-30 degrees. I then compared a CAI run vs a SRI run and Theta Dyno shows a very healthy power increase, especially low-mid range torque.

well its kinda simple, a shorter pipe can suck air in faster, at high rpms you'll make more power, at low rpms you wont cause the velocity isn't as fast.
    a longer pipe will not make as much power at HIGH rpms because there is too much resistance, but at low rpms its capable of channeling air quicker, so you'll make some torque down there.
    whats your preference?
    I just dont like Cold air intakes because of the water and the fact that the filter is pratically on the ground getting blasted by filth =\

should have posted this in engine section....in fact there have been quite a few of these intake and hydro locking threads lately, read those and you will get lots of opinions on this....

i have the sp1576....and i love it...i get quite a bit of rain (we are breaking records right now actually) here and have no problems. i have my ways of defense against the water. they are in one of those other threads...

but yeah people have hydro locked with a cai and yeah people have drove 2 yrs with a cai and havent had any troubles (knock on wood).

from what i have read, a lot of the people that have stories about water getting in there either, dont dodge puddles or like to go faster in them, or they dont have that piece of the fenderliner that would usually deflect water coming up towards the filter. granted not all and i am sure i am going to start an arguement with that statement, but that is just a personal observation...

good luck with whatever you choose...

edit: here ya go sir

comparing sri and cai and such

cai vs. rain

huge intake poll
    Last edited by jtyler05si; 06-20-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Moved....
    Mel

mmm...torque :D
    Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    well its kinda simple, a shorter pipe can suck air in faster, at high rpms you'll make more power, at low rpms you wont cause the velocity isn't as fast.
    a longer pipe will not make as much power at HIGH rpms because there is too much resistance, but at low rpms its capable of channeling air quicker, so you'll make some torque down there.
    whats your preference?
    I just dont like Cold air intakes because of the water and the fact that the filter is pratically on the ground getting blasted by filth =\
    i'm pretty sure the head losses of a couple feet of piping and one extra bend (if that) wont be big enough to notice :thumb: howevever the extra length would probably help with encouraging laminar flow, which would probably encourage higher air velocities into the im. again with such little piping, i am not too sure of how big of an effect that would be.

i figure that the biggest difference between the shorter and longer pipes referred to may be the heat soak experienced by sri's due to their location near the block--i'm sure air temps there would probably play a bigger influence on power numbers than head losses and turbulent v. laminar airflow.

back to topic, i personally have a sp1576, and it works fine

Thread Information