Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a2/a3

Quote Originally Posted by holeshot1 View Post
    whuch would b gain cause only 1 valve works now and it barly open then wen the vtec kicks in one opens more then another to cause a swirl suppose to increase gas milage on the a3.

I do believe you need to do alot more research on the operation of the A3 and A2 VTEC, because that is not a correct description at all.

On the A3 below 2800 rpm, all the valves are operating off their respective lobe's(one lobe has very little lift to create swirl at low RPM). When VTEC engages the rockers lock together and both valves operate off the bigger cam lobe(operating off the same lobe there is no swirl).
    Last edited by talonXracer; 08-26-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

thers no oil galley for that oil to activat the exhast cam

no man the a3 at idle only uses 1 valve on the intake side sine vtec is so low which is 2300 it turns on so low but the left valve does not open as far as the right side which is the vtec causing the swirl inside combustion chamber u getr it for econmy

I do believe that is a very simple fix at the machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by holeshot1 View Post
    no man the a3 at idle only uses 1 valve on the intake side sine vtec is so low which is 2300 it turns on so low but the left valve does not open as far as the right side which is the vtec causing the swirl inside combustion chamber u getr it for econmy

Go back and do your research, And dont even think you are gonna school me! LOL

That isnt the A3!!!.........LOL

I build these engines on a daily basis.................

Open up your valve cover and turn the engine over by hand, you will see that all the valves do indeed open, but one opens alot less, this is what creates the swirl. Now you cant obviously cant operate the engine with the valve cover off, so you remove the bolt in the very center of the #3 cam cap and use compressed air to set the VTEC. Now again turn the engine over and again all valves are operating, but at the same amount for all the intake valves. With no diferential in opening lift or duration swirl can not be created.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 08-26-2008 at 02:00 PM.

well just an idea
    Last edited by holeshot1; 08-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.

ya this is saome new shit but looks like the a3 cams u know
    Last edited by holeshot1; 08-26-2008 at 02:10 PM.

so what u think a2 cam intake and a3 exhaust original
    Last edited by holeshot1; 08-26-2008 at 02:09 PM.

a2 heaqd

o boyy i got the the head pics up soon.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    I'm going to post this, and after this, I'm going to make sure never to read anything you ever post with any ounce of trust or respect. This statement is made for a myriad of reasons, at the top of that list being disrespectful to a site GURU on internals, and being generally ignorant of what people are telling you. Moving on:

1) We (the site at large) have previously determined that your knowledge of A2's and A3's could probably use some work. Hey, mine could too, but I'm not shopping for heads to swap under my hood, because I know my limits. I don't care how little money you can spend doing this mod, you'd probably end up messing up more than you improved, given the quality of your submissions to this thread.

2) We (once again) have heard over and over again the suggestion to swap all kinds of parts, piecewise, from the K20A2 to the K20A3 in order to improve the function of the latter. We have also heard the regrets of the people who wasted their time doing so, because the "gains" granted are NEVER considered (by the very individuals who felt sure enough of themselves to do it in the past) to be worth the effort. Do something else, regardless of how cheap the "mod" is. The quickest way to learn is by picking up on other people's mistakes, rather than just making your own. I've watched enough people do dumb things to know not to do them myself, rather than saying "WELL IT'S STILL NEW FOR ME LOL."

3) Finally, do you have an aftermarket intake? What about a header, and an exhaust? Have you upgraded your ECU? Improved handling by fine-tuning your suspension? Shortened your stopping distance with some sticky tires and bigger brakes? If the answer is no, I think you should probably rethink the idea of going straight to engine internals for your "first week" mods. Because the only real lasting debate on this forum is "swap it or boost it?" That one is situational. This one is not. Don't bother, or, if you won't even listen to the suggestions of the forum experts like Doug, what are you really doing here?
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information